Click here for my extensive set of build photos and comments.
Mine came out at about 37 oz before I started adding nose weight. I kept piling
on, and it didn't start to balance until I had an additional 4-4.5oz of weight.
What that means to anyone following my build instructions is use a little less fiber
tape near the TE and feel free to use a lot over the LE. Running an extra layer of
bias cut tape over the LE would be a good idea anyway as this baby does
land pretty hot. Anyway, I flew yesterday at 41oz and today at 41.5 messing
with the CG. Others have built it at 38 and 40 oz. (6/24/02 - There are reports
from two other people that they added 4.5 and 6 oz of nose weight to balance. 6oz building
it strong like mine, and 4.5 oz using the recommended taping scheme. I don't feel
so bad now My extra overall weight could easily be blaimed on the ballast tube and taping).
I've got a 12 inch long ballast tube (about 11 usable, 5/8" inside diamter), so I can add
up to 20-22oz of ballast should I ever need to fly it in hurricane force winds. ;)
I'll probably tape over the pushrod connectors to quiet them a bit, and put wipers
over the bottom elevon gap.
I'll have additional comments on this page as I fly it more. So
far all I can say is that
it's very fast, has lot of energy retention (to be expected at 41oz), and most of all
is unperturbed by turbulence.
Return to my R/C gliders page.