Click on a photo to see a larger version.
Also realize that the whole ballast tube installation is optional.
One of the ballast slugs. 5/8" brass
tube filled with melted lead.
An opening is carefully cut out
through the foam down into the
ballast tube. Don't lose the cover.
Marked around the edges so I'd
see it through the covering.
A slug half showing.
It disappears all the way down
to the end of the tube. Make
sure the ballast slides easily in
the tube now, because if it's snug
now, it'll be very tight when you're done.
Room for about three 1 inch slugs.
The balsa block is sanded down
and we're looking down into
the ballast hole.
Sanded down on the bottom too
The ballast area is now filled with
foam plugs we cut out earlier
to support the cover.
Tape is to make it easier to get out.
Put the little hatch back in place,
and leave it there until the wing is covered.
Mask the sides of the spar groove to
protect the wing from glue.
I expoxied the main spar into the
aluminum joiner with slow epoxy, and
then gooped the whole spar and balsa
strip on top of it. Here it is weighted.
(I actually goofed and used the wrong
wood for the fillers.. Don't do that.
Be sure to use 1/4 x 1/4 x 22" balsa
This is what it'd look like after
you've plained/sanded the balsa
fillers down flush with the airfoil.
(I messed up and used my basswood
strips here by mistake and had to fill
the groove up in places with more Goop)
I actually installed the basswood
drag spars by the last photo.
Here I put some lithium grease on
the supplied rod and then built up 5
minute epoxy around it between
the basswood spars. Then pulled
the rod out.
Everything in place.
Spar glued in, filler on top,
basswood drag spars installed
and everything sanded down.
The opening for the tail boom.